On Sunday, Nov. 15, at 2 p.m. (CST), the South Pittsburg Historic Preservation Society will dedicate a Tennessee Historical Marker for McReynolds High School on North Cedar Avenue, South Pittsburg. The Society extends a special invitation to all former students and teachers.
Speakers for the afternoon include Marion County Superintendent of Schools Dr. Mark Griffith, Charles Richard Wiggins (former McReynolds student and teacher) and Kenneth U. Jordan (Class of 1962).
Brown McReynolds (for whom the school was named), Dr. William J. Astrapp, Dennis Martin, and Arthur Haywood served on the committee responsible for the establishment of the school. McReynolds High School, completed in 1921, educated not only African-American high school students of Marion County and North Jackson County, Ala., but also elementary students from South Pittsburg. Professor M. M. Burnett was principal for 25 years. The main building burned in July 1965.
A reception at the Princess Theatre will follow the dedication.
North Cedar Avenue will be closed in both directions from the intersection with Old Jasper Road to the entrance to the shopping center to provide parking for the gathering. In the event of rain, the dedication will be held in the Princess Theatre.